Decorating & Furniture/painting mantel

Question
Hi! My question has to do with painting our stained mantel.  The entire wall behind the mantel is paneled wood - very pretty, but the mantel is the same stain color and blends into the wall.  I was wondering if painting just the mantel white would work (I don't want to paint the entire wall-it's either just the mantel or leave it all stained).  Side note...this room opens to our kitchen and we will be painting our stained cabinets white soon as well as the base of the breakfast bar which separates the two rooms.
Thank you so much!!

Answer
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for writing me!  

Good question by the way.  The answer is "yes" you can paint just the mantel, but before you do, you need to sand the entire surface that is to be painted.  Once the mantel is sanded (giving it tooth for the paint to adhere to) you should clean the surface with a soft cloth to remove all residue from sanding.  Once that's done, put on a coat of primer and allow that to dry overnight.  Then complete the mantel with 2 coats of paint.  

Since you're doing the kitchen in white, I'd coordinate the mantel to that.  

Happy sanding and painting!

Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik