Decorating & Furniture/fireplace tiles

Hi Rachel, I would like to change the tiles in my fireplace. I would like to know what colors would look nice and what would be some nice tile options? I have attached and image of the fireplace. Thank you!

Hi Elsa!

Thank you so much for your question. With such a neutral background, your possibilities are endless. It looks from your photos as though the rest of the room is fairly neutral as well, and I picked up some blues in the rug, correct?

With that in mind, and such a modern piece, there are two directions you can take. You can play it down and go for a more serene contemporary feeling with a charcoal grey matte finished tile, like the one here .

Another option would be to bring cool and warm into the finish with something like this or this.

Whatever you choose, I would ensure that you hire an installer who is fully aware of the rating of materials used for a fireplace surround. The images I linked are purely for aesthetics and I would have to check those fire ratings to ensure their safe installation.

Have fun, you really can do just about anything with this one, keeping in mind that if you decide on a bright orange tile (which would also look amazing), that may make selling the home tricky in the future.

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Waldron

Please feel free to visit my professional website at I can answer interior design questions that focus on function in design, use of color, and consistency and fluidity in design. I am a designer and not a decorator, so when projects get "craftsy" or if you are looking for DIY tips, I may have some insight but will not be your best resource. I am also not an architect or contractor so I will not be able to tell you if a wall is load-bearing or if plumbing can be moved in your home.

I have eight years of experience as an interior design professional and currently own and operate an online interior design service.

I have a BA in interior design from Washington State University, a CIDA accredited university. I also hold an MBA in Marketing from City University of Seattle.