Decorating & Furniture/design dilema

Question
Niche
Niche  
Hi Jennifer, I have this niche by the main entrance of the house. I am really confused as far what to do with it. I know for a fact that I want to remove the glass. I have asked around for opinions from family and friends which left me even more confused.
Here are my ideas: At first I thought of putting white stacked stone in place of the glass. But my friends said that in a few years the stone will look outdated. Then I thought I will just paint the drywall once the glass was removed. But others just suggested that I should just close the niche with dry wall since niches are outdated. Are niches really outdated?? What should I do??

Answer
Hi Elsa,
Thanks for your question. First, let me say that niches are architecturally "not" outdated, but the way they are finished morphs every few years.  

The look that's preferred now is one of open space, which applies to niches as well.  When one is closed, mirrored and lighted, it does "date" the house as far as when it was built, so it that respect, you might call yours dated.  

Now that we've said all that, my recommendation is that you review your options with a local home builder or remodeler.  Here's why - and I'm not trying to duck your question - since you have glass (which is difficult at times to remove, even by professionals) and electricity running above the niche, you may find that removing it is a costly endeavor.  

And depending on whether you plan to stay in your house or put it on the market, you'll have a better idea once you know what's involved.  

What appears to be the easiest solution is to remove the glass and use a glass tile (like those used for kitchen/bath backsplashes) or to cover the glass with a decorative cling-type film which can easily be removed/replaced.  The other option is to see if you can remove the glass and have a see-through area in the wall.  

Hope this helps you.  If you opt to do nothing else, put a reflective (glass) object in the niche so that the light filters through it.

Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik