Decorating & Furniture/kitchen countertops and flooring

Question
In my kitchen I have 1990's ear golden oak cabinets which are in great shape but dated looking,and I would appreciate help with choices for flooring colors, either tile or vinyl, counter top and backsplash choice colors and wall colors all on a tight budget as a retiree. I have fairly new stainless steel appliances. The trim is stained in a similar shade as the cabinets.  At the present, there is no backsplash other than sheet rock and the flooring is sheet vinyl. Please help me with color choices and ideas to get the kitchen out of the 90's on a limited budget. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Answer
JJ-
Thanks for your questions about updating your kitchen.  

To bring the kitchen's look forward, consider using ceramic tile that resembles wood, in a darker tone (darker than the oak cabinets).  That will ground the space and immediately update the look.  

For counter tops, look for a high quality granite "tile" that incorporates the floor color, and the cabinet color.  It's much less expensive than solid surface granite, and when used with a dark grout looks the same.  

For the backsplash, I'd opt for either stone or glass tile in a milky white or neutral color.  Then for the rest of the walls, check out Glidden's Toasty Grey.  It's a beautiful shade of taupe and will tie everything together.

Best of luck with your project.  

Jennifer

PS:  Watch for sales at your local home improvement stores, stone yards and kitchen supply.  You'll find great pricing on these items.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik