Decorating & Furniture/Bedroom design

I have moved into a shared house recently. It is owned by a private landlord and unfortunately this means that there are limits on what we can change, like furniture and carpets. Apart from that, we have free rein over decorating. My room is a small room, about 10x8. The carpets are a murky brown and can't be changed, and there is a large antique wardrobe and an old wooden chest of drawers. The chest I might be able to change.

I have a passion for contemporary design and minimalism, and although it may seem impossible, I am convinced there are things I can do to make this room more refreshing and modern/ futuristic. I have painted the walls a fresh stark white and I will change the desk to something more 'ergonomic.' I was wondering, is there anything I can add that will not change the room, but detract from it's antique feel?

I have had the idea of combining old with new (it seems the most logical option). Perhaps a bold black and white checked rug over the carpet; a large avant garde sculpture on the chest? Colour scheme is also a problem because the exisiting furniture is an unnerving brown colour, whereas minimalism calls for something more monochrome. I'm sure I'm not as limited as I think I am, is there anything you could suggest to spice it up a little without disturbing the existing architecture?

Good Morning,

Thanks for your question.  

Combining old with new - juxtapositioning one with the other, is a good option.  Since you have painted the walls white, I would consider an all white, textured rug to fit over the carpet.  If you prefer black/white, then that will work as well.  

Art, though minimal (maybe one large scale piece over the bed) should be yet another textured piece in mostly whites with silver. You can find some great pieces at Home Goods, Marshall's etc. or hang a black/white photograph in a white frame.

As for the existing furniture - I'd opt to ignore it, drape it (floor to ceiling with white fabric) in a corner or simply let it be and play up the other parts of the space.

Good luck with your project.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology