Decorating & Furniture/Trim and cabinet stain

Question
Hello,
Does the stain for kitchen cabinets need to match the stain of the trim and doors?  We are currently building a home and we purchased beautiful Havana Cherry Cabinets which are darker; however, I would like to have lighter trim throughout the home. I want the house to have good flow and the design elements go together.  We will also have barn wood exposed beams and barn wood on the mantle and bamboo flooring.  The kitchen and great room (where the mantle and beams are located) is all open concept. Please help! :)

Answer
Good Morning Victoria,

The quick and simple answer is "no" they do not need to match.  The décor "rule" that you are probably thinking of is that all wood trim (baseboards, window casings, moldings, doors etc.) should be the same.  

While I still prefer that "rule" as a general guideline,  it does not apply to cabinetry or furniture pieces.  

Good luck building your home.  It sounds lovely.

Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik