Decorating & Furniture/Trim and cabinet stain

Does the stain for kitchen cabinets need to match the stain of the trim and doors?  We are currently building a home and we purchased beautiful Havana Cherry Cabinets which are darker; however, I would like to have lighter trim throughout the home. I want the house to have good flow and the design elements go together.  We will also have barn wood exposed beams and barn wood on the mantle and bamboo flooring.  The kitchen and great room (where the mantle and beams are located) is all open concept. Please help! :)

Good Morning Victoria,

The quick and simple answer is "no" they do not need to match.  The décor "rule" that you are probably thinking of is that all wood trim (baseboards, window casings, moldings, doors etc.) should be the same.  

While I still prefer that "rule" as a general guideline,  it does not apply to cabinetry or furniture pieces.  

Good luck building your home.  It sounds lovely.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology