Decorating & Furniture/Bathroom decorating advice

First bathroom
First bathroom  

Second bathroom
Second bathroom  
We recently moved into a new home with two full bathrooms. The first bathroom has light brown tiles from the floor up to the roof. The second bathroom has a darker reddish brown tile half way up the wall and the rest of the wall has the same light brown tiling as the first bathroom. My question is, which colours would work well in these bathrooms? I am struggling to choose colours for the towels and accessories because I am not sure about which colour combination would work best? Please advise!

Hi Yolande,

Thanks for your question and for selecting me to answer it for you.  

In bath one, the simplest choice would be a light to medium taupe - mimicking the grout and tile, but that's just sort of an ordinary color scheme.  Depending on your fixtures and vanity top color, you could use something as lively as a cranberry red, or as subtle and manly as a chocolate brown.  

In bath two, I would opt for black - yep, black towels, contrasted with some off-white ones (mixing the two) OR use a medium to dark shade of green (color opposite of the reddish brown tile).  Again the safe color would be to match the darker tiles, but again, it's just sort of ordinary.  

In both cases, add a simple silk orchid in a creamy white color.  

Thanks again.  Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology