Decorating & Furniture/3-piece sectional sofa

Question
Jenny,
We are moving into a home this weekend and we have a sectional that just seems not to fit.  The furniture we have is a 3 piece sectional, coffee table, end table and entertainment center.
The problem is when you walk into the house it is an open floor plan, a little entry hall and then you are in the living room. The wall on the left is about 16 ft leading to the fireplace which is set in octagon or sideways, then a smaller wall only it is a bench seat with two windows. Then the back door and the master bedroom entrance and a shorter wall about 8 ft and then the entrance to the open dining room and back to the entrance to the kitchen and back where we started. Kinda semi octagon (I hope that makes sense) How do I place the sectional?  The TV cable is on the wall that backs up to the master bedroom (8' wall)  I really didn't want to cover up the bench seat but see no way out of it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Katherine

Answer
I'm having a hard time visualizing the space, but I think some basic info might be of help to you, especially if the sectional is angled, an L shape or a U shape when together.  The focal point of the room is the fireplace, just by nature of it being in the space.  Your furniture should "face" that, even if it means setting it in the middle of the floor space at an angle.  Depending on the pieces you have, you may be able to use the fireplace wall for your entertainment center (TV) which again, allows viewing from the sectional.  If I'm understanding your description, this should eliminate "blocking" the window seat.  If you have no other choice, then you have no other choice.  And if moving the cable solves the problem, it's a small price to pay the cable company.  If you opt for that, check into splicing the cable as opposed to installing a new outlet.  It may cost less.

Hope this helps you.  Just remember to use that focal point as your guide, and with open floor plans, floating furniture (away from walls) is almost always what has to happen.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik