Decorating & Furniture/Accent Wall

Question
We want to redecorate our family room, starting with painting the dark wood paneling.  This room is currently very dark because the only windows are shaded by trees near the house and the walls are dark wood. On one of th long walls, we have a fireplace, built-in bookcases, and a door leading to our garage.  I would like to make this an accent wall and paint it the linen color of the woodwork throughout our home.  The other walls would be a darker neutral- an earth tone perhaps.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks
Candy

Answer
Thanks for your question.  Your fireplace wall is a natural focal point, and by painting it a lighter shade than the walls, you will indeed accentuate it even more.  

If you like cool tones, consider a sage or celery green, or a blue like a slate tone that has some grey in it.  If you prefer warmer tones, then consider a mocha or even a taupe.  Just be sure that you keep your room alive by contrasting the focal point wall to the wall color.  You can certainly go lighter than your dark wood without going to pastels.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik