Decorating & Furniture/Adding a bar problem

I live in central FL and have a 1200 sq ft home.
The living room/dining room area is a combination long that attached to a sliding door to lanai one the living room end and to a kitchen counter with 2 stools in front of it facing away from dining room end.

Since the home is very small and I don't use the dining room, I'd like to convert the dining room into a bar area so when we entertain, we would more space in the living room.

There are two doorways entering the bedrooms on each side of the middle of the dining room/living room area so furniture placement is a problem for me.

I'd like to be able to build/buy a bar to put in the dining room area that faces into the living room so when guests come over, people could sit in the living room and yet converse with those at the bar in the dining room.  Also, the bar would have to face the tv which is in the far end of the living room in the corner by the lanai
entrance doors.

My only thought is to get kitchen cabinets with a laminate top on it so I can get behind the bar to make drinks, etc and yet not have the bottles, etc. showing to people in the kitchen or entering the home.

I am not sure how to position this unit though considering all the doorways.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Your idea is great.  If you are not using the dining room, then converting it to something you would use makes a lot of sense to me.  My best suggestion for you is to sketch out your idea on paper and show it to a handyman or do-it-yourself carpenter.  Get a price for having the bar area built rather than using premade cabinets.  

Unless you're a pretty fair carpenter, you need to turn this over to a pro.  It will be well worth it in the long run.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology