Decorating & Furniture/Advice on Color

Due to water damage renovations are needed. My queen-size headboard has dark-red padding and curtains are emerald (dark green). I was thinking of a pale-green white for the walls and white ceiling and skirting boards. Would this work? What colour carpets would go? I could even remove head-board and do without. Wood is medium brown.
Could I bring this same colour into the passage and lounge (family room with no kids)? Lounge suite is black leather, tv stand is black with glass top and curtains are "butter-cup gold." Curtains could be changed at some stage. It is very hot in summer and very cold in winter where we live.

Dear Marjorie,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry I have not been back to you sooner as I have been ill.

I am all to familiar with problems from water damage!!  Hopefully your insurance will be helping you pay for the damages.  In reading the colors that you have in your bedroom, my instinct would be to stay AWAY from a pale green/white color, as that will be a cool tone.  Instead, if you went toward a warm pale historical gold (soft tones, no mustard!!,) that would help to warm things up.  Same thing with your carpeting.  You want to warm things up with other tones that are warm as opposed to make things feel cooler and work against each other with trying to mix pastels with the strength of your fabrics in the room.

You may want to call in a local interior decorator/designer for a consultation to help you determine, in fact, which would be the best selections to make for your home.  In any event, I wish you luck!

Best of luck to you!  Thank you for writing.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.