Decorating & Furniture/Alder wood

Question

This question may be outside your regular realm...but...my wife and I have looked high and low for a solid wood (~3 x 5 foot with one or two leaves) table...we have come close with a solid two color (ie. dark stained legs, cinnamon color top finish) wood table costing $1700.00 Canadian.  I looked up on the “Janka Wood Hardness Scale”...alder is one of the softer woods you can use.  

Will buying an Alder wood table cause issues due to its softness...?  We do have a ten month old….who does like to bang on things.

Thanks.

Peter

Answer
In my previous home, my kitchen cabinets were alder, and I had 3 teenagers that banged them constantly - no problem.  That's the best answer I can give you because you're right, it's outside my normal realm of experience.  

I'd check with a cabinet maker (they know wood better than most anyone) or a finish carpenter for their expertise.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik