Decorating & Furniture/Alder wood

This question may be outside your regular wife and I have looked high and low for a solid wood (~3 x 5 foot with one or two leaves) table...we have come close with a solid two color (ie. dark stained legs, cinnamon color top finish) wood table costing $1700.00 Canadian.  I looked up on the “Janka Wood Hardness Scale”...alder is one of the softer woods you can use.  

Will buying an Alder wood table cause issues due to its softness...?  We do have a ten month old….who does like to bang on things.

In my previous home, my kitchen cabinets were alder, and I had 3 teenagers that banged them constantly - no problem.  That's the best answer I can give you because you're right, it's outside my normal realm of experience.  

I'd check with a cabinet maker (they know wood better than most anyone) or a finish carpenter for their expertise.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology