Decorating & Furniture/Antique Paint effects

Hi Jenny,

I have an old cast iron garden bench that I have stripped. I want to create an antique brass finnish. I want it to have a slightly aged look. Can you help?

Many thanks

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Visit your local craft store and you'll find a treasure trove of paints and special application kits to create just the look you want.  Ask for some help there too - the sales people are very knowledgeable about these techniques.  

Remember - an antique brass finish will have a red undertone and some shades of turquoise/green as a patina.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology