Decorating & Furniture/Apartment Pillar

I live in a very industrial-style studio loft with cement flooring, 12' ceilings and a huge white pillar right in the middle of the room to uphold the above floor.  It's no attraction.  Is there anything to be done to decorate this monstrosity?  Thanks in advance.

Great question!  You can either try to disguise it by painting it the same color as the wall, making it less obvious, or you can make it a more prominent piece of the room by accentuating it.  Add mirror pieces (or use reflective paper) in sort of a collage (that will reflect other things in the room); if industrial is the feel you like, wrap it in metal or metallic wallpaper, or paint it black so that it "acts" as the anchor for the space.  

Hope this spurs some creative thoughts for you. You can't remove it, so dress it up somehow to live with it.  I have one in my own great room that I've finally (after 10 years) come to accept.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology