Decorating & Furniture/Area Rug Color

I would like to know what color area rug I should use in my family room. My furniture is oak and I have a hardwood floor. Sofa is oak with printed floral upholstery in follow colors: blue (dominant), burgundy, mustard, with a blue chair and an oak rocking chair. I have a blue quilt hanging on one wall which is in various shades of blue ranging to white. I have a burgundy and mauve rug on the floor now and it does not look right. Should I use a rug which is more neutral so the rug does not pop out so much at you?

Because you have so much activity and movement in your printed floral upholstery, use a solid rug (or a patterned one with all the same colors as the floral).  Solid will be easier to find and you can't go wrong with it.  The rug you are now using doesn't have a relationship to the furniture.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology