Decorating & Furniture/Arranging furniture in a narrow living room with opposite doorways

You answered my question on 09/12 and in answer to yours....yes, the room is rectangular in shape with doors in each of the two short sides. The doorways are centered on the wall.  I had not heard of "holding a piece of string from the center point of one doorway to the other" to assure there was nothing in the pathway; but now I have another question.  I have a matching loveseat and the only position that seems feasible is to have it facing the couch with a coffe table between them (with the table placed in front of the main couch). I don't see arrangements like that anymore.  So maybe it's okay to arrange it across the entrance leading to the dining room, but moved up closer to the sitting area to allow movement around the furniture to the dining area (???) What do you think?

Hi Angela

It is hard for me to visualise exactly what you mean but I will say that having the two seats facing each other with a table in between is a very good option and is the best in terms of people sitting together chatting comfortably so if that is what your room is used for regularly then I think it is a good idea.

If you want to place the loveseat in front of the dining room entrance that will probably be OK as long as there is sufficient room for people to move round it smoothly rather than having to make sharp turns if you see what I mean.

I think your best option is to give it a try for a few days and see how you find it.  You can of course move it around regularly until you find the arrangement that works for you best.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit