Decorating & Furniture/Base board Color

Hi Jenny, How are ya? In our home our walls are painted an almond color.  My wife wanted to know besides the white paint we now have on our baseboards, what other color can we paint the baseboard trim to match with the almond colored walls we have.  Any suggestions?

I'm fine - hope you are as well.  Thanks for writing and for your question.  Most baseboards and trims in homes across the country are painted in white or almond and painted in a high gloss OR they are constructed of high grade lumber, sanded and stained.  

If you're looking for a change, I'd suggest painting the walls, not the baseboard trim.  If you want something other than the white that you currently have, you certainly could paint them almond.  

I can't tell you that painting the baseboards any other color is "wrong" - there is no right or wrong when it comes to your own home and your own personal taste, but what I find is that trims that are painted darker than walls tend to draw all the attention downward.  The eye always goes to color first and in this case, it would go to the baseboard and it will make your rooms appear to be smaller than they are.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology