Decorating & Furniture/Baseboards

Question
I would like to change the baseboards of my house.  My electrical outlets are low to the ground, so I think I have to to either keep low baseboards (2") or have very tall ones that will cover the electrical outlets (6").  I don't want to do the same baseboards that I had (2"), but I'm afraid that the taller baseboards will make my rooms look very small.  Do you have any suggestions?

Answer
It's been my experience that most situations have several possible outcomes, and that compromise is usually the best way to resolve anything.  In your situation, you may want to consider creating what's called "composition" molding for your home.  That's simply taking standard sizes of moldings and combining them (stacking on top of one another) into a new and distinctive molding.  That eliminates 6 inch moldings which would certainly draw attention to the baseboard, but allows for something unique.  Talk to your local home improvement stores about composing your own moldings.  They'll be happy to assist you.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik