Decorating & Furniture/Basement paint colors

We are finishing our odd shaped basement and are looking for color ideas for the walls and carpet.  The basement is 23' by 23', but there is a large brick hearth (it is six feet long and four feet wide)right in the middle.  The living/play space is 9 feet wide and 20 feet long from the stairs.  We also have a workout area planned and a separate laundry area.  We already bought an espresso colored love seat and couch, but the drywall is just being finished.  There are 4 windows, but they are small.  We want to pick a light color for the walls and an accent color to paint the brick hearth (it is painted white now).  Do you have any suggestions for paint and carpet colors that will complement the espresso furniture and stand up to three kids?  

I do indeed!  Thanks for writing.  Select your favorite shade of blue for the walls.  The most exciting color paring with your furniture would be on the aqua side of blue - a pale, almost Carribbean shade.  The other side of blue - an icy sky blue would also work great.  As for the floor, I'd have to recommend one of two types of carpeting.  One - the dressier but still sturdy version would be a tightly woven berber, and I'd go lighter rather than darker.  It won't show traffic patterns and cleans up nicely.  The other alternative is an industrial carpet.  They come in beautiful weaves and textures now, and you may find it a nice alternative.  You don't have to use a pad with this carpeting, but you can if you don't want it glued down.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology