Decorating & Furniture/Beach Retreat Bedroom

Jenny, I am wanting to create a beach retreat look for my master bedroom.  This idea sprang from a compromise with my hubby. He wants the walls painted blue. I'm not a blue person, but I thought I would love a room that reminded me of the ocean/beach. I thought I would like pale (not baby pastel) tints of sea green, aqua, taupe, and of course lots of white. He hates white furniture so I thought maybe knotty pine, but is that too country? I don't know where to begin on this project. How can I make this happen without it looking like an obvious "themed" room. I want it to be calming and subtle (no beach print fabric). I want to smell the ocean when I walk in this room ha ha ha. please help. Master is 10x12 with a 4x6 3/4 bath. Thanks

Compromise again and opt for white-washed or pickled furniture.  Stay with the blue - look for a medium shade of sort of "slate" blue (blue with a grey undertone).  I'd stay away from knotty pine...if pickled or white-wash doesn't please him, then use a maple or pale oak finish.  

With the walls blue, consider an all-weather weight down comforter (white) for your bed.  Tie in the other ocean colors with pillows and artwork.

Use billowing fabric at the window - gauze is nice -- for that look out and see the ocean feel.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology