Decorating & Furniture/Bedroom Curtains

My husband works the night shift occasionally, so our bedroom has to be very dark during the day.  We are about to move into a new home that has a very dark green carpet and walls that need to be re-painted (we are yet to decide on a colour) We like the look old, elegant antique furniture, and simple decorating.
    We are currently trying to decide on the colour of the walls and curtains, keeping in mind that the curtains have to be thick so no light can get through. (we haven't found blinds to be thick enough)Changing the carpet right now, unfortunately, is not an option.  

Any advice would be appreciated,

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your question.  First of all, the easiest thing to do to coordinate with a carpet color you are not particularly fond of (but have to keep) is to paint the walls in the same color.  I'm not recommending that you use a dark green for the walls, but instead, select an updated version of that color -- like a sage or a celedon/celery tone -- and use it on the walls.  The reason is simple.  If you don't like something about your decor, disguise it by making it look "done on purpose" -- intentional.  Then when you can afford to replace the carpet, you'll be in a position to also paint the walls.  

As for draperies, blinds etc., there are products on the market that are designed to block out all light.  Check into that for your hubby.

PS:  The greens will go nicely with antique furnishings.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology