Decorating & Furniture/Bedroom Dilemma

Question
Hello,
I am looking to decorate my bedroom.  The room is aprox. 10x14.  I have a couple of questions. Every wall in my bedroom has an opening.  The entrance is on the north wall, a window seat is on the south wall(it has 3 window), a window sits in the center of the east wall and on the west wall is a closet and a window. How can I add balance to this room.  Especially the wall with the window and the closet.  I would like to perhaps make a screen sliding door to hide the window and closet door.  Or perhaps curtains.  However,  I do not want the room to feel to heavy with fabric.  Also my bed spread is a sand color.  I love earthtones like browns, tans, and beige.  I would like a color scheme that would blend these colors. Can you suggest colors for a window seat, the walls and the curtains if any?

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your questions.  It's somewhat odd that you have every wall interrupted, but at least you have a 3 window opening and a window seat, plus another window in the room that provides natural light.  

My suggestion about disguising the closet door is to add a room divider. With a small room, make sure that the divider itself is neutral in color.  You may want to consider using a mirrored 3-panel divider or something in a rattan or wicker.  

Since the window seat is opposite the door, you should have some balance once the closet door is disguised, but adding a beautiful "drape" to the outside of the windows will direct your attention to the window.  Create a window seat that coordinates/matches the window drapery AND that coordinates with your bedspread.  

Wall color?  You need to use your favorite color.  If you like earth tones, consider using a beautiful shade of pumpkin or eggplant, painting all your trim bright white.  You could then use a floral drape, a pin-stripe (in the same colors as the floral) for the window seat and you could even create a few bed pillows out of the same fabric.  

You'll be well on your way to a warm, inviting room.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik