Decorating & Furniture/Blocked fireplace

Question
I bought a really old house where the fireplaces are bricked up and not useable. The one in the living room has sheetrock over it and I am not sure what is behind it.  I now have a beautiful hunter green mantle and a cast iron fireplace screen with a huge white boring and unattractive white square where the opening to the mantle should be.  Any ideas on how to make it more appealing???  Artificial brick? paint? Thanks

Answer
Thanks for the question Trisha.  You can either paint it some other color other than white (too much contrast) and/or paint it using a faux treatment.  You could even paint it black lacquer!  Artificial brick scares me a little, and it's harder to change than paint.  

In front of the newly painted surface, add some candles or purchase a candle insert for fireplaces and fill that with light color candles.  Even though it isn't "in" there, it will (with a dark background) give the illusion you're looking for.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik