Decorating & Furniture/Blocked fireplace

I bought a really old house where the fireplaces are bricked up and not useable. The one in the living room has sheetrock over it and I am not sure what is behind it.  I now have a beautiful hunter green mantle and a cast iron fireplace screen with a huge white boring and unattractive white square where the opening to the mantle should be.  Any ideas on how to make it more appealing???  Artificial brick? paint? Thanks

Thanks for the question Trisha.  You can either paint it some other color other than white (too much contrast) and/or paint it using a faux treatment.  You could even paint it black lacquer!  Artificial brick scares me a little, and it's harder to change than paint.  

In front of the newly painted surface, add some candles or purchase a candle insert for fireplaces and fill that with light color candles.  Even though it isn't "in" there, it will (with a dark background) give the illusion you're looking for.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology