Decorating & Furniture/Blue Carpeting :-(

Question
Hi! I am moving into a beautiful new home but it has blue carpeting!! It is open concept, vaulted ceilings with white walls and medium blue carpeting that looks deep almost crayola blue at night and confederate blue in the day (I can email you a pic if you like). The walls are currently white. It has lots of windows and the sunlight, white walls and blue carpet make it a very cold looking house. I need to know what color to paint the walls to warm it up a bit. Anything I have thought of looks terrible in that the blue is almost a primary color so green, light blue, yellow all look like a kids play room. I HATE the country look and that seems to be the only thing I can come up with. The cabinetry is very light pine yet our furnishings are cherry or walnut and my sofa is eggplant! The sofa actually looks nice with the carpet (really!). I do not know what to do! I have looked everywhere for an answer. I have been at this for months and am moving in 3 weeks. My fiance does not want to paint the walls dark, he wants to keep them fairly light. Can you help me please?

Answer

Thanks for your question, and for sharing some of your likes and dislikes as far as style.  My initial thought was to do a french country theme, with pale yellow walls.  That's out.  But what would be beautiful is to do a taupe wall color (look at Glidden's Toasty Grey at Home Depot) and keep your wood trim and door/window casings white.  The taupe that I'm recommending is a warm shade, but will work very well with the blue.  It's also a terrific neutral backdrop for your eggplant furnishings!  Keep adding eggplant to the rooms, in throw pillows, throws, accessories etc.  You can also use a sage green as an additional accent color to the blue and taupe.  

Since you aren't fond of the blue, try adding large area rugs in the living and dining rooms, allowing the blue to act as a "border" rather than "the" color.

Don't be afraid of this wall color.  I have it in my own great room and have a great deal of light oak and purple.  It (the color) will enhance everything else you do in the room.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik