Decorating & Furniture/Brightening up a basement apartment

Thank-you for considering my question.

There is a huge housing shortage in my town and I am being forced to take an apartment in the basement of a rather nice complex. It is two bedrooms with white walls and beige carpeting. My livingroom furniture is a sand/burgandy/green floral fabric, my bedroom items are a brass bed, red and walnut dresser and walnut nightstand. My comforter is a vintage red and turquoise floral. My bathroom accessories are pink floral. What should I do with the walls? I can paint, but I don't know what colors would warm the place up. There is limited light coming in through the windows. Should I use full spectrum lighting in my lamps?
I'm trying to look on the "bright" side, but it is a challenge!

I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks for writing and for your question.  You might consider painting the walls a warm yellow - buttery shade.  This will coordinate with your other colors, and give you the "bright" side that you need.  Yellow reflects light very well, and is a happy color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology