Decorating & Furniture/Buying all-new furniture, what goes well with dark wood floors?

Hi Jenny,
I'm moving in to an apartment soon and although I can't do
anything about the cabinets or floor color, I'd like to attempt to go
for a modern and unique look. I have white cabinets and appliances
and a dark cherry wood floor for the kitchen and living area. The
bedroom's carpet and walls are an offwhite color. I can send
pictures if you'd like. I like all bright colors like red, blue, or green
and black or white for a sleek look. I'd be very grateful if you could
help me with what color of wood furniture I should buy and any
other advice you have. Thanks!

First and foremost, don't buy furniture based on what color your (current) floors are.  That's subject to change every time you move or relocate.  Furniture selection should be based on your own tastes and the "style" furniture you like.  

Since you mention modern styling, consider modern pieces in bold colors.  Just make sure that as you purchase expensive pieces, you purchase them in either a solid color or an upholstery that "appears" solid when you squint and look at it.  The reason is simple.  You can easily add inexpensive accessories for pattern and texture.

Visit for some great ideas.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology