Decorating & Furniture/Cabinet Color??

We are building a home and have selected brazilian cherry flooring for the entire 1st floor, including the kitchen. The color of this floor is lighter red w/ rich dark (almost black) grain as well as some gold. The gold is not as distinct as the black in the flooring.

My question is- what kind of cabinets in the kitchen. When we hold the flooring up to cabinet choices it seems to look best with dark brown which almost looks black (peppercorn). My main fear is that it will be WAY too dark. I see very few kitchens in the mags that use this color. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have seen any. I would like your opinion on this choice. I would also like a suggestion of an alternate. Thank you in advance for your time!!

Hello Andrea,
The dark peppercorn is actually a popular color choice for both cabinetry and furniture.  Yet, because of your concern about the darkness of the finish, why not combine two color choices for your cabinetry?

If the dark peppercorn is used for base cabinets and appliance panels, why not a painted finish for the island and wall cabinets?  You can also have the interior backs of open and glass cabinets stained to match the darker peppercorn (this is optional).

The second color choice definitely depends on the painted finishes available from the cabinetry manufacturer.  I suggest a paint with an antique glaze.  A creamy/khaki paint with a dark glaze to tie in the cabinetry.  These cabinets can also be distressed to add character.  If you're working with a kitchen designer, make use of the creativity the designer offers to make your kitchen beautiful, functional and suitable for your lifestyle.

For direct consulting on a kitchen design for new construction (where I provide a floorplan, elevations and material selections) please contact me via email:  avalair@lifestyledesigninteriors.

Good Luck!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA