Decorating & Furniture/Carpet and Wall Paint Co-ordination

Question
I have recently bought a brick red carpet for my dining room, and want to paint the walls before it gets delivered in 2 weeks.  I'm not sure whether having cream walls is just the easy, safe option or whether it is the only colour that will go.  Can you tell me what other colours could go with the carpet before I start experimenting and making a mess of it?

Answer
Dear Lindsey,
   I have drawn up some example rooms that have the brick red carpet and a paint color for the walls.
http://rmdecor.tripod.com/brick.htm

Since red is such a vibrant color, you dont want a color that will compete with it. I would choose a color that has a light buttery color to it. But remember with yellow tones it will look more yellow with incadescent lighting. Yellow is a tricky color. Yellow is so tough because it is the most reflective color out of the whole spectrum -it absorbs very little. It reflects back almost as much light as white does, but because it is a "color" it can be more intense than white. Red is actually the hardest color for the eye to see because it's the longest, slowest wave-length. Green is shortest and easiest on the eye.

The other colors I chose is a dark tan color and a light gray. I think it depends on your decor, and how you want it to feel?. Are you able to send pictures?  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID