Decorating & Furniture/Carpet wall color coordination.

We are building a new house with the great room, kitchen, dining room and home office all open to each other.  My new sofa is traditional with a floral pattern of pink, beige, wine and a darker chamois color.  The carpet is a light biege.  Should I make my walls a darker taupe and would it look good to use the wine color in the dining room?  My kitchen cabinets will be natural maple and the home office is next to the kitchen.  If the office is also maple would this be to much maple or should I go for a darker wood for variation?

Yes.  Use taupe for the walls and accent with the wine shade, then carry the wine shade into the adjoining room.  If you are the kind of person who prefers that everything match, then stay with the maple throughout.  

Be sure to carry these colors (from your sofa) into all the adjoining rooms in some way, even if it's just accessories.  It will look very coordinated if you do so.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology