Decorating & Furniture/Cast iron paint finishes

I have a modern (rust free) cast iron outdoor dining setting which I want to repaint in an antique looking antique white over gold or vice versa. The look I am trying for is washed french provincal look I think. Can you advise on paint and technique. Thanks  

Hi Val,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The exact technique depends on whether or not the cast iron is "sealed" or not.  If it is the least bit shiny...(a technical term...) then it probably is. If you cannot tell, then assume it is sealed and follow the instructions below.  

- Thoroughly clean all surfaces.
- Lightly sand all surfaces to be painted, to "retooth" and allow paint to be accepted.
- Remove any dust with a tack or soft cloth.
- Prime the surface with KILZ or BenZ (non-pourous surface primers) and allow sufficient drying time.  Overnight is best.
- Apply paint and allow to dry thoroughly between coats.
- Seal with a non-yellowing polyeurthane.

Since you are looking for a washed look, apply the gold color first (after priming) and then apply an antique white.  While the white is still damp, you can remove as much as you want with a soft cloth, allowing the gold to show through.  Don't worry about removing too much; you can always add more paint.  Finish with the poly.

Good luck on your project.

PS:  Some of the finishes you're trying to replicate had a brick red color underneath, an antique white over that and then with a dry brush, touches of gold were added to guild the piece.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology