Decorating & Furniture/Ceiling Beams

Question
Hello, we have purchased a longere in France and it has open plan lounge, dining room, and what we've made into an office. The ceiling is very low and has large oak beams. The problem is they have been painted nearly black. We have terracotta/red original tomettes and a dark brown leather lounge suite. Can you advise what color I can paint the walls and the beams. I was thinking a toffee color for the beams and about 5 shades lighter than that for the walls and ceiling in between the beams?

Answer
I love the idea of toffee for the beams AND for the walls.  I would not lighten the walls.  If it all has the same color hue, the ceiling beams will actually look taller and the space will appear larger than it does now.  

If you want the contrast, go for the two shades of toffee.  If you like the idea of a larger feel, paint it all the same.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik