Decorating & Furniture/Ceiling Beams

Hello, we have purchased a longere in France and it has open plan lounge, dining room, and what we've made into an office. The ceiling is very low and has large oak beams. The problem is they have been painted nearly black. We have terracotta/red original tomettes and a dark brown leather lounge suite. Can you advise what color I can paint the walls and the beams. I was thinking a toffee color for the beams and about 5 shades lighter than that for the walls and ceiling in between the beams?

I love the idea of toffee for the beams AND for the walls.  I would not lighten the walls.  If it all has the same color hue, the ceiling beams will actually look taller and the space will appear larger than it does now.  

If you want the contrast, go for the two shades of toffee.  If you like the idea of a larger feel, paint it all the same.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology