Decorating & Furniture/Ceramic Tile floors

Question
I have just purchased a condo that is wall to wall ceramic tile floors (in Florida). While I have been working on the decorating and have had no problem in deciding how to decorate, there is and echo from the floors and vaulted ceiling. I should also, mention that the floor plan is a large room consisting of both the dining and livingroom, and here lies the next problem. The tile has a design right in the middle of the 2 rooms so to use 1 or more area rugs is not possible...so I don't know if there is any type of material to cut the echo...I'm also not sure you are the correct expert..but if you could at least direct me, I would be most thankful.

Answer
The echo of hard surface floors is a frequent problem.  As you know you need soft elements in the room to help to absorb the sounds.

You can accomplish this in a number of ways. There is acoustical plaster that can be applied to the walls. You can create or purchase large panels made from sound absorbing fabric.  This option is frequently used in commercial settings and can be an interesting look.  They would hang on the wall like art.  Tapestries also could function this way...decorative and sound absorbing. Adding fabric panels to the windows would also be a huge plus.  

Hope one of these ideas work with your budget and style.

Happy Decorating
"The Queen of Decorating"
JoAnne Lenart-Weary
www.onedaydecorating.com  

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary