Decorating & Furniture/Cherry Cherry Cherry

Question
Hello~ I think I just goofed up my new house. I have Cherry floors(dark cherry) running through out the house except bedrooms. In the kitchen I have cherry cabinets and a somewhat dark granite countertop. I feel like I need to lighten it up a bit but wanted to go with a yam color with reds and golds. Heck I dont know any help you can offer for my kitchen and family room which is off the kitchen would help.
Color Challenged:)

Answer
Thanks for writing.  You can definitely add some light color touches in the way of accessories that will brighten and lighten up your kitchen.  As for your family room, carry the same light color that you choose for the kitchen into the family room.  You may want to use a stark white so that there is maximum contrast, or an ecru or khaki color for lightening up.  Use your reds and golds as accents throughout.  You haven't goofed up your new house, you just have a lot of "same" right now that can be dressed up and "changed" with accessories.  Consider some stainless steel in the kitchen area as well; great contrast to cherry.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik