Decorating & Furniture/Choosing Colours for a large Hallway

Question
I am currently at home with my parents, looking for the next career move and have been asked to decorate their hallway. The house is over a hundred years old and has a large dimly lit entrance leading onto a stairs. The ceiling height is approximately 11 feet and the stairwell could be 25 to 30 feet. The carpet is a dark wine red. They have chosen (but not yet bought) a barley white colour to go over the wall paper. There is a three foot siding to the wall that has been painted over in a mushroom colour. Is there a colour that might contrast well between the upper (dulux barley white) part of the wall, and the carpet. It's the three foot siding that is difficult to know what to do with. Any suggestions or changes to the colour scheme would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Calum

Answer
Dear Calum McGregor,
    I am not sure I understand your question. Are you wanting  to paint over the mushroom colour? What would be the existing colors and what are you wanting to paint.

Thank you,
Rachel Mallon
RMdecor
http://rmdecor.tripod.com
rminteriordecor@yahoo.com

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID