Decorating & Furniture/Choosing area rug

I have taupe walls with white trim.  The furniture is rattan covered in palm leaves of shades of green with ivory background (all matching set). There are silk palm trees and tropical plants throughout.  There are 2 side by side prints above the sofa of a beach with palm trees (alot of blues and sands with green).  There is a large sculpture of a blue wave with white dolphins on the cocktail table. There is Tommy Bahama style lamps on the end tables.  I would like to add some traditional pieces in the room like a bombay against a wall, or something.  Now for the question:  Should the area rug be kept tropical, or can I go for a tradional rug covered in greens that is very busy.  Does the rug have to have blue in it?  

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your question, and for the detail you have provided about the room and its surroundings.  To answer your last question first, you do not have to incorporate any blue into the rug.  You have a lot of "Tropical" going on in the space, so something more traditional would be in order.  

Themed rooms sometimes become overpowering if everything in there "matches".  

As long as your area rug encompasses most of the colors in your room, you will be fine.  Don't get too busy with the design on the rug.  Sometimes less is more.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology