Decorating & Furniture/Color Confused

QUESTION: I just moved in a new home and I have dark burgundy leather furniture in the family room. It so dark it looks dark brown when there is no light directly on it. I was thinking of pictures with brunt orange, black, burgundy and gold colors in them and brunt orange pillows. What color curtains should I buy? Or should I buy different pictures and pillows? You can see the kitchen from that room also and it has black and silver appliances, the maple cabinets with a countertop mixed with black, gray and brown. I have orange and dark red accents on the counter. The living area/dining room is also open to the family room also but I have no furniture in there yet. Please help I am confused!!!! Is the burnt orange a good color I want to brighten the room with a modern unforgettable look but I need to keep the look throughout the other rooms.
ANSWER: Rather than adding dark accessories to dark furniture, consider painting the walls a warm shade of burnt orange - a nutmeg or paprika color.  Then add some of your other accent colors to the space.  Burnt orange is a good color, and you'll probably love it on the walls if you don't go really dark.

The other great color with dark brown is turquoise or pale blue.  

Once you get color on the walls, your space will be much more unforgettable.

QUESTION: There is dark burgundy leather furniture in the family room not dark brown will the burnt orange still go. If I paint the wall a paprika color what should I do about curtains in that room and should I color all the walls or just accent one or two? The kitchen and dining/living room can be seen from that room also. So what colors should I use in the other rooms?  

The paprika color is an excellent background shade for brown, burgandy, black, white, green etc.  Curtains/draperies should incorporate all the colors of the room.  Here's where you can use large prints, stripes, flowers or geometrics to add some interest to the room.  

Accent walls are great if you don't have any natural focal point in a room, i.e., a fireplace or large window.  If you opt for one or two accent walls in the paprika that's fine as long as you paint the remaining walls in a complementary color.  

Complementary colors to paprika are:  paler shades of the same color, pumpkin, nutmeg, gold, yellow, khaki, burgandy, sagey greens etc.  These are all colors that you can use in the adjoining rooms as well.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology