Decorating & Furniture/Color Coordinating

Question
I have just finished 3 of my bedroom walls in a solid rose color and planned to do the 4th in a medium/olive green of the same hue as the contrasting or complimenting color. Now that I see the 2 colors together I'm not really liking the outcome. Is there a color that would be more complimentary. The woodwork around the room is off white and the iron headboard is a darker off white.

Answer
Hi Annette

Have a look at the colour wheel here:

http://www.decorating-vacation-property-for-profit.com/color_wheel.html

Would you say that your rose colour is like the 4th shade in from the outside of the circle in section A1?

If so, then a good choice for a complementary colour would be its exact opposite - the 4th shade in from the outside of the circle in A2.  It looks to me really like a pale but fresh grassy green.

If you really think the colour you already have isn't right it could just be that your instinct was right with green but it was just the wrong shade.

Alternatively, as you mention you have used a rose pink think about roses and the pink of the rose and the green of the stem and leaves.  I am sure that you would be able to get some beautiful fabric using those colours to make a wall panel:

http://www.decorating-vacation-property-for-profit.com/Textile_Art.html

or a window treatment or bed cover.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston