Decorating & Furniture/Color Coordinating

I have just finished 3 of my bedroom walls in a solid rose color and planned to do the 4th in a medium/olive green of the same hue as the contrasting or complimenting color. Now that I see the 2 colors together I'm not really liking the outcome. Is there a color that would be more complimentary. The woodwork around the room is off white and the iron headboard is a darker off white.

Hi Annette

Have a look at the colour wheel here:

Would you say that your rose colour is like the 4th shade in from the outside of the circle in section A1?

If so, then a good choice for a complementary colour would be its exact opposite - the 4th shade in from the outside of the circle in A2.  It looks to me really like a pale but fresh grassy green.

If you really think the colour you already have isn't right it could just be that your instinct was right with green but it was just the wrong shade.

Alternatively, as you mention you have used a rose pink think about roses and the pink of the rose and the green of the stem and leaves.  I am sure that you would be able to get some beautiful fabric using those colours to make a wall panel:

or a window treatment or bed cover.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit