Decorating & Furniture/Color choice

I am at a loss at what colors to paint my kitchen/living room areas.  I have a small town home, total square footage of 1095.  I'm guessing the down stairs is around 500 sf, this area includes the kitchen, small dining area and living room.  I have khaki furniture and would like to go with neutral colors that compliment my furniture.  I would like to paint the kitchen one color and the living room another to divide the space.  I'm planning on putting my home on the market within the year so I also need colors that appeal to the majority.  I want to pick the correct colors now so I do not have to repaint later.  What colors would you suggest?

Hi Shannon

As you already have khaki as a colour in your furniture, you could use that as the inspiration for your decor.

Look at the paint selection here:

Let's say for example that Celtic Moor 3 is the nearest shade to that of your furniture.  I would then suggest you choose from that line of colours with the exact choice being based upon how much colour you like and how small/dark/light your space is.  Go for Celtic Moor 6 if you want to be as light and neutral as possible but still keep the tone that matches your furniture.

Personally, I would maybe go for Celtic Moor 6 for three of the walls and Celtic Moor 2 for a feature wall/fireplace or alcove which always adds a bit interest to a room which otherwise could turn out a bit bland.

If you look at a colour wheel:

you will see that green is directly opposite orange and that would be my suggestion if you are looking for something to liven it all up a bit.  With thoughts of moving, I wouldn't suggest you paint anything orange but a few cushions or pillows on the sofa and a rug or two in orange would really lift the colour scheme.

Kind regards

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit