Decorating & Furniture/Color choice for Walls & accent chair

We have a combined large space that includes a great room, kitchen, and breakfast area that are open to a dining room and foyer.  The flooring in the great room and dining room are a light dove gray Berber carpet, a path of textured silver, white, and gray tile leads from the foyer, past the dining room, through to the kitchen, laundry, and breakfast area (all tiled with the same tile).  The window coverings are dove gray verticals in the great room and the dining room; wide white wood blinds in the breakfast area.  The family room area has a terra cotta leather sofa, loveseat, recliner, and ottoman with white lacquered parsons coffee & end table.  One entire wall has sliders that open to a pool & greenery (light beige table & chairs visible), another wall has a glossy white cabinetry wall- to-wall with a large screen TV and lots of large accumulated, loved artwork - no theme, but some a little abstract.  The breakfast area has a round glass table with black leather chairs and a full wall of tall black cabinetry & shelves for storage and display.  The dining room has a glass table with an ivory/antique green marble base and black legged parsons chairs in a black/terra cotta/light yellow large floral print.  The kitchen has light gray flecked Corian counters, white appliances, and light maple - beige/grayish cabinets.  All rooms are visible and open to each other.  Right now all the walls are white and we have an area rug anchoring the furniture; it's terra cotta, hot pink and a little yellow.  I would like some suggestions for paint colors to keep the room from looking too Halloweenish with the intensity of the black breakfast area furniture and the dominant terra cotta leather furniture.  The furniture is new (and wonderfully comfortable) but sized more to my husband.  An accent chair for me (to read in) would be great but I just don't know what to look for.  Our kitchen cabinets are in great shape but I really feel the color is distracting.  If you need some photos, I'll be happy to send them.  Thanks for any suggestions.

I must say Yvonne it sounds like you have a lovely space there.  I love open-plan but it does mean that every room or area has to flow together well.

Different shades of the same colour work well together and as you seem to already have a number of pieces using terracotta, it makes sense to stick with this but possibly a lighter shade than you have for the sofa.  I am sure you will want to avoid making the property too dark so I think that painting a feature wall, alcove or fireplace in a terracotta shade might help you add warmth and colour without being overwhelming.  Even the darkest and strongest tones can be used successfully if you limit it to one area of the room.

You mention hot pink as a colour in your rug - do you like this colour?  If you want to brighten up your black breakfast area, could you paint one wall in there bright pink?  It could be that rather than have the same colour (terracotta) in each room, you can use the 'theme' of one painted wall as the common thread rather than the colour.  Does that make sense?  If you have a rug that features terracotta, hot pink and a little yellow, can you maybe have a terracotta wall in the family room, a pink wall in the breakfast area and a yellow wall somewhere else - perhaps the dining room where you also have yellow in the chair.

Where would your accent chair be?  I suggest you use the colour of the painted wall in that room as your inspiration.

Hope that has been helpful Yvonne.

Don't hesitate to send a follow up question if you need to.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit