Decorating & Furniture/Color flow from one room to the next

Hi Jenny.
I have had a difficult time picking out paint for my family room and kitchen.  The two rooms are open to one another. The family room has a fireplace with white modeling and a dark brown marble face.  The furniture is neutral as well as the carpet. The kitchen on the other hand has black appliances, maple cabinets(which I love), speckled counter top with black, grey and some neutral color,and the floor is medium brown.  I want to incorporate blues and greens since I absolutely love those colors and most of my accessories are in blue (pendulum lights, couch pillow etc.)  What color can I use in the kitchen and family room to tie together.  I wouldn't mind each room being a different color but I'm not sure what would flow best.

Here's the fool-proof way.  Whatever color you have in one room, use it in the next.  For instance, if you use predominantly blue as your decor color in the family room, then carry that blue as a secondary color in your kitchen.  Keep your wall colors the same in adjoining rooms (not white, but a color!) and then change your accents.

Pull some of the black, grey and brown into the family room too.  As long as you combine the same colors (not exact matches, but close) in both rooms, it will flow.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology