Decorating & Furniture/Color to match light oak cabinets and gray counter

Hi, I recently purchased a home with a very open floor plan.  The living room, dining room and kitchen all flow into one.  There is white ceramic tile throughout.  The kitchen cabinets have recently been replaced and they are a very light oak color.  The countertops are a darkish gray speckled color with the light brown/blond trim that matches the color of the cabinets.  The kitchen has only one window in it that was closed in before we bought the home because an addition was added on the other side of that wall.  I recently painted the living room Toasted Pine Nut (Sherwin Williams), that color was also on 2 of the walls in the dining room.  The kitchen has one wall that extends out to the dining room and then 2 small walls in the kitchen (very small kitchen).  All appliances and trim are white.  The third dining room wall and all painted space in the kitchen I painted Sherwin Williams Baquette.  I was planning on adding Mountain Stream as color for the closed in kitchen window and then adding glass shelves to that space.  Once I put the Baquette on the walls my kitchen got very dark.  Also, I don't think it matches very well with the grayish counters.  I'm at a loss now as to what colors to go with.  My kitchen table is light brown/blond wicker with glass, my living room has darker oak tables with darker wicker baskets and chocolate brown leather furniture.  Again, white trim throughout.  I am very in to earth tones, browns, and beachy colors (but not a ton of pastels).  Sorry for so much info and thanks in advance for any advice!!!

I must admit I don't know what color Baquette or Mountain Stream is.  It sounds as though you may be able to add a greyed down blue for the closed in kitchen window, particularly if you are using glass shelves.

Consider adding a greyed blue to your mix.  Then in the living room, move toward the more teal shade of blue.  It will work wonders with your chocolate brown.

You may also want to add some "undermount" lights to the kitchen cabinets.  That will help illuminate the counter tops, and make the kitchen actually appear larger than it is.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology