Decorating & Furniture/Color of sofa

Question
We moved to Arizona from Italy.  I painted my living room a yellow color doinga a "wash off" technique.  I love it and have incorporated a lot of Italian decor to it.  THe only thing I havent done is to purchase a sofa that would go with the yellow walls.  I've been close to selecting either an olive color or a taupe color(chenille), but I end up holding off because I think it might not work out with the yellow walls.  What advise can you give me.  The other colors I have there are Black (dining table, wine rack, odds and ends.)Wine/Burgundy colors.

thank you for your help

Answer
Hello Diana,
Sounds beautiful!  I'd actually visit a number of stores and seek a sofa that is elegant with wood bottom trim and/or feet.  

Select upholstery with a marvelous Tuscan pattern, multi-colorful with that fantastic yellow and wine colors but with an aged, antiqued appearance.   

The multi-colored "antiqued" upholstery will highlight the gorgeous technique you used on the walls.  By shopping for a sofa where you can select the upholstery yourself, you're not settling for what's on the floor.  

Select either a chenille upholstery or a mixture of fibers to give an authentic quality to the "hand" or feel of the fabric.  Soft and worn...as if its been in your family for ages!

Remember, take samples of your color scheme to the store!   Having the yellow, wine/burgandy and other colors will make it easier to decide on the spot which is the perfect fabric. The sofa order may take a few weeks longer, but its definitely worth it!

Have fun!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID  

Decorating & Furniture