Decorating & Furniture/Colors for Family Room

We have just had a new family room (14.5 x 20 feet) addition built.  The woodwork is stained a color similar to cherry/gumwood to match the existing woodwork in the house.  We are planning to buy new furniture for this room; the only existing furniture that will go into this room is a shiny black Victorian upright piano and an tv cabinet (currently stained a maple color).  We had tentatively picked a lilac paint color for the walls.  However, now I'm leaning towards seating in a blue jean fabric/hue (perhaps with red accents on pillows) and wondering if the colors will work together.  If I really want to stick with the blue seating (not yet purchased), should I consider another wall color? (I don't want anything too dark).  Or, if I want to stick with the lilac walls, would another color choice for seating be better?

Instead of the lilac walls paired with a denim upholstery, consider using either a yellow or a taupe.  Toasty Grey is my favorite taupe shade, available at Home Depot (it's a Glidden paint color).  

If you stick with the lilac walls, you "could" still use the denim, it's just that the lilac has purple in it which usually fights denim (blue) for attention.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology