Decorating & Furniture/Colors for Family Room

Question
We have just had a new family room (14.5 x 20 feet) addition built.  The woodwork is stained a color similar to cherry/gumwood to match the existing woodwork in the house.  We are planning to buy new furniture for this room; the only existing furniture that will go into this room is a shiny black Victorian upright piano and an tv cabinet (currently stained a maple color).  We had tentatively picked a lilac paint color for the walls.  However, now I'm leaning towards seating in a blue jean fabric/hue (perhaps with red accents on pillows) and wondering if the colors will work together.  If I really want to stick with the blue seating (not yet purchased), should I consider another wall color? (I don't want anything too dark).  Or, if I want to stick with the lilac walls, would another color choice for seating be better?

Answer
Instead of the lilac walls paired with a denim upholstery, consider using either a yellow or a taupe.  Toasty Grey is my favorite taupe shade, available at Home Depot (it's a Glidden paint color).  

If you stick with the lilac walls, you "could" still use the denim, it's just that the lilac has purple in it which usually fights denim (blue) for attention.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik