Decorating & Furniture/Colors and Furnishing Tips

I have a cognac leather sofa and chair, and I would like to incorporate brown tones into my space. I live in a townhouse, so the living room and the dining area are connected.  The living space is pretty large.

Currently I have black coffee table, end tables, and black dinette.  I want to get rid of the black.  I purchased the black coffee tables because I already had the black dinette.  I also purchased a multi-color rug geometric(varies  a black border, and colors such as: cognac, off white, green, maroon, and light brown colors).  I removed that rug a couple of days ago.  It seemed like too much was going on with the rug, and I was not feeling the look I wanted.  I will try to find a rug with more cognac and brown colors.

My dilemma:

I'm unsure if I should purchase a (cognac/spice)dinette set to match my living room set. I am trying to create a warmth feeling, using earth tones.  So, I wanted to use the cognac (spice) and brown colors.  I am also considering if I should spray my end tables and coffee tables brown.  Again, I want to get rid of the black tables.   

I want to use brown leather pillows on the cognac sofa and chair, but I do not know what accent pieces to purchase to bring out the brown.  I currently, have spice sheer curtains, but I took them down (I spent 180 dollars on the sheer curtains last year from Target -- 1 panel was $14.99 so I needed 12 because my living room window is 144w  X 84 L).  I really want to use brown curtains, but I don't know how to build upon the brown curtains with the additional furniture pieces I will purchase soon (dinette, coffee tables, end tables.  Should the end tables, match the dinette set?  Or can the end tables be different?  I like the style of my current end tables, I was thinking about saving them and spray painting, but don't know what color. Someone told me Lowes have paint.  My current  tables are a wrought iron style.

So, please tell me how can I create the warmth feeling in my home using the brown and cognac colors?  I really want to purchase the brown curtains, help me build upon the brown curtains and brown pillows for the sofa and chair?  I need help with what color coffee tables, and dinette set I should purchase.  Should they be brown or cognac?  What is the decorating rule? Again, I want to build off the brown curtains and throw pillows for the sofa and chair.  Where do I go now.  

Desparately seeking help in MD!

The only way to add warmth to a space is by adding warm colors - tones of red or yellow.  Since your furnishings are already in the warm family, try adding a pale yellow OR an icy blue (color opposite) to the walls.  White walls do nothing but fight color.

If your tables are paintable, do that.  The rug that you removed was probably pulling the most warmth into the room because of its color and texture.  Consider putting it back.  

All your furnishings do not have to match.  Rather, they should coordinate.  

If you're looking for everything to go together, try coordinating the paint color in the shared space (LR/DR) and add some pattern to the room.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology