Decorating & Furniture/Colors to brighten a dark living room

Hi Jenny, I need some help with colors in my living room.  The walls are a dark sage color and the rug is a dark beige and I purchased a chocolate brown couch and chair.  I want to purchase 2 more chairs to go into the room but find the room quite dark and am not sure what colors I can use to brighten it up.  The room is quite large.  Thanks,

If you like Blues, then try a pale sky blue for your walls.  It's a cool soothing color, will look terrific with your chocolate brown furniture and coordinate well with your rug.  

If you don't care for sky blue, lean toward a more carribbean shade of blue, just keep it light!

If you want a more monochromatic (all one color) scheme, paint your walls in a taupe shade.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology