Decorating & Furniture/Colors for living room and kitchen

I have given my daughter my old home.  It is quite small and we are having difficulty in selecting colors. Because of the small size, we think the various  colors in the rooms  should blend/match .The small living room will contain a dark taupe sofa and love seat.  The living room is adjacent to the kitchen and  dining room.  What would you suggest for the  color of the walls in both rooms.  My daughter wants a light color in the living room, but a bolder color (red or terra cotta) in the kitchen and dining room. The kitchen is a galley kitchen opening up to the dining room which is probably 9 by 12. The floor is wood in the living room and brown tiles in the kitchen.  We would really appreciate your assistance.  Any color combinations would be most helpful to us.  Thank you.

Dear Marie Sabbath,
     Please go to this link to see the design images.

It sounds like the space looks very natural. Keeping that idea in mind I came up with these colors. I didnt know what color the kitchen cabinets and countertops were so I made them white which helps to open the space. I chose this beautiful paprika color for the kitchen walls. I think it is very stimulating and goes well with the overall look. To lighten things up, I chose a neutral yellow that looks nice with the taupe and the paprika color. If you decide to go with this scheme, I would choose drapery in the living room that matches the kitchen wall color and visa versa in the kitchen. I hope this color scheme works, and let me know if you would like to see something different. Good Luck!

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book