Decorating & Furniture/Colors that go together

Hi, I really struggle because I like color but can't put different colors together..I would appreciate any help. I have a 100 yr old home. The walls are plaster and I just installed a terra cotta tile fl in a hearinbone pattern floor in the entryway. The LR and DR have light oak flrs. The kitchen will have some sort of tile..The cabinets are new white with a coffee bean glaze. Anyway, my LR furniture is brown leather kind of mission style. same with DR table I would like the DR to be a Mississippi Mud color (all ceilings are 9 ft), maybe a blue LR..Do they flow..One room goes into the other thru pocket doors..Darker wood. And how can I tie the entry way in and the hallway going upstairs...Again te walls are plaster and are not smooth they have a swirly texture...  Thank you for all yor help

Thanks for writing.

The mud color and blue go well together. Try a pale blue lighter navy but much darker than a sky blue. Another great mission style color that goes well with the brown leather is a mustard yellow.

As far as the hallway, make the entry and hall the same color so you are not chopping things up too much. The key is consistancy! Try a terra-cotta, taupe, olive green or cream in that area to try everything together.

Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell

I can answer any questions on interior design including color, room arrangment, floor and space planning, lighting, fabric, furniture, and where to buy home decorating products.

Residential design and Architecture as well as landscape design, visual merchandising, and sales.

College graduate