Decorating & Furniture/Colors

Question
I don't like clutter....I like my rooms simple, clean, sleek lines.
1. Tan carpet in living room, what color furniture. (23x12)  Want end tables to pull color from picture on wall (picture is gold/black trim with white square, black, square, beautiful white tulip).  Should end table be black and gold with glass?  Want something unusual.  
2. Tan carpet in small cozy sitting room (i saw two maroon wing back chairs with an ottomon), does maroon and tan go together.  what color curtains, tan and white?

Answer
Kathy,

If you like simple, clean and sleak, you probably prefer modern or contemporary styles.  That lends itself toward furniture with those adjectives attached to them in a solid color upholstery or even leather.  Color specifics are up to you.  If you're trying to match a picture, pull the colors from that.  I'd use black leather furniture, lacquer or glass tables and eliminate any clutter.  

The chairs you describe are not contemporary - they're traditional if they're wing back, but will work in your environment IF they have a contemporary fabric.

Maroon is a member of the red family - a warm color tone.  It will "go" with most anything.  Curtains? Match your furniture or your carpet for a coordinated look.  No frills. Wood shutters or blinds would add some softness...

Jenny

PS  The best decor blends from room to room.  If you use maroon in one room, carry a touch of that color into the adjacent room.  If you use black in the living room, carry a touch of it into the "maroon" room.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik