Decorating & Furniture/Colour Scheme For Lounge

We have a lounge approx 20" by 15" south facing, very light, it has a teak wood floor and white walls, and we have a very light beige sofa with light wood, fire place is white marble and teak in the center on the wall, patio door, bay window and door are on each of the other walls (no curtains as yet).  We have satin chrome lights, like candles - quite gothic.  Other furniture is light wood coloured.

Basically I want to try and bring all these colours together, but how on earth can I get dark wood, light wood, white, beige and satin sliver to look good together?  People have suggested an accent colour but what could that be in a formal, yet modern living room?

Any help appreciated!!

Thank you

Hi Lynsey,

I'd opt for a medium shade of green, perhaps sage to pull it together.  You're never going to be satisfied with white walls and pale furniture.  There's no contrast there to accentuate one or the other.  Coordinate your room (wall) colors with a large oval or rectangular rug to pull your furniture together in a grouping.  Your silver accent colors will look great against a medium to dark shade of paint as well.

Hope this helps you.  Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology