Decorating & Furniture/Colour choice

I have just bought a sofa and armchair in a beige/fawn colour, classic style. There is a brown fitted carpet and cream curtains. The room is 15x15 feet in a Victorian house with cornices and dadoes. Everything looks too beige and muted.
What accent colours would be best. I can change the wall colour, it's whte under the dado rail and "tiramasu" above!
Can you help?

First and foremost, get rid of the white wall under the wainscotting, and at least paint it the same tiamasu as above.  Then add splashes of color (select one or two bold/vibrant colors and go with them).  With your color scheme, you can add virtually any color, so go with your favorite.  If you like blue, stay away from baby blue and go for royal or a regal navy.  If you like reds, lean toward cranberry or bright red, avoiding orangey ones.  Greens are another good choice, and here you could opt for several tones of moss to celery to forest greens.  

Your color canvas right now is what I'd call monochromatic; all shades of the same color.  By introducing a new, bold color, you'll enliven the space immediately.  You can do thta with pillows, throws, accessories etc. and it won't break the bank.

If you like a more modern, elegant look, add black as the predominant accessory color and then fill in with cranberries or reds.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology